Pages

Saturday, 28 August 2021

A very disappointing thrift adventure

I've always loved thrift stores. When I was a little kid, my dad would take me to all the local thrift stores and electronics shops to help him hunt for useful electronics and salvage (he loves to tinker). I'd always get a new book or computer software out of the deal, and I thought it was great fun to dig through the piles of junk looking for something my dad could use or repair. I have vivid memories of him taking apart old CRTs on the dining room table. 
 
I'm mostly interested in 1990s and early 2000s devices and hardware. It's partially nostalgia, but also because I genuinely enjoy it. I love the design aesthetics of that time period, and just the sheer variety of weird niche products that arose from companies trying to cash in on the tech boom. And thrift stores usually have a ton of that kind of stuff! ( ´ ▿ ` )

I've always been a fan of having a dedicated media device separate from my phone, and 2000s era players are my favourite. I used an mp3 player (a Cowon S9) until maybe about 2 or 3 years ago. Before that, I used an iPod mini that my parents bought for me as a graduation present when it came out in 2005. I'd still be using it but the internal drive crapped out, but man, that thing was built to last. The aluminum casing was stupidly bulky, but I dropped it so many times while skateboarding or running (once it even got clipped by a car) and it was still perfectly fine. I used it from middle school until undergrad! In the same time period I went through like...3 or 4 different CD players.

Speaking of analog media, I would love to find a little cassette player like like the Panasonic RQ CW-02 or RQ CW-05..the translucent jelly look is so happy and cute. I really want the green or orange colourway. The Sony WM-EQ3 "Bean" is cool too- it glows in the dark! Those would have all been pipe dreams once upon a time since all of these models are ancient and weren't widely available outside of Asia...but that's what Mercari is for! They're cheap, too. Man, I love the internet.
 
 
Anyway, back to thrifting...I've been watching a ton of tech thrifting and restoration videos lately so I thought it might be fun to hit some thrift stores I'd never visited and see if I could find some treasures. Long story short, it was stupidly crowded and half the people in the store weren't wearing masks and it was just...grimy. It was just too hot and loud and claustrophobic and all of the good stuff had been picked over. Crowds is too overstimulating for me. I went to two large thrift shops and had the same crappy experience both times, so I went home and cheered myself up with an iced pumpkin spice latte instead. Οƒ(*´∀`*) I don't want to know how much I spend on Starbucks each week, haha...
 
I did find a cute vintage sewing machine though! It's a tiny little Morse Zigzag in a leather carrying case. No idea what the exact model is, but my guess is that it's from the late 70s or early 80s, purely based on the brown/harvest gold/orange colour scheme. I didn't buy it, but I think it would make an interesting addition to someone's collection. It's so tiny and adorable!
 

Oh, and I did end up buying a mini tripod...only I didn't realize quite how mini it was! It's so small that it can't hold up the weight of my phone without tipping over, so I have to position it very low to the ground at an extreme angle. Basically, all my shots look like the Steve Madden shoe adverts from like 2003. I can model for Lamoda now, or something.
 


Overall, it was a disappointing thrift adventure, so I hope I have better luck next time. Maybe I'll stick to hunting on Mercari and eBay...

4 comments:

  1. The Sony WM-EQ3 really is adorable, makes me think of a frog. On eBay I saw some but they were quite expensive, probably due to age. But on mercari JP I saw some as low as 8000¥, which isn’t too bad at all. I don’t think there would be any issues with having it shipped to you either (like me trying to buy the Super Dollfie Moitie mobile charger…….)

    Now I’m looking at cassette players. I never had one as a kid just because we didn’t have the money for that sort of thing, but now I want to get one so I have an excuse to buy old vkei cassettes lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I wanted that charger too! There was a cute AATP one too but I figured I'd have the same problems shipping it. I think the cassette player would be okay since there are no internal batteries.

      You should totally get one! There's something really nice about collecting physical media from bands that don't exist anymore.

      Delete
  2. I still use an iPod, though unfortunately the one I originally got I've had to replace twice. But they really have been built to last, my first one was well battered and what gave out in the end seems to have been the software rather than the hardware. Maybe once things cool down a bit and people aren't going to the thirft shops because "oh well, I'm already out enjoying the weather, might as well" things will quiet down? Hopefully, it sounds like you could find a lot of cool stuff in yoru area if only it wasn't so overwhelming and icky with people not sticking to safety rules.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ( ´ ▿ ` ) iPods are so great! I want to get another one just because I'm tired of music taking up space on the phone.

      I do hope that as things get back to normal the thrift stores empty out a little bit! I think people are just bored and anxious to get back to shopping. The thrift store in my neighbourhood is quiet and small but typically has really good finds. The downtown one I went to was a total zoo!

      Delete